Re: Metalink moved

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2008 13:24:26 -0700 (PDT)

On Oct 2, 12:21 pm, Palooka <nob..._at_nowhere.com> wrote:
> Joey.Dant..._at_gmail.com wrote:
> > On Oct 2, 9:46 am, Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bor..._at_gmail.com>
> > wrote:

> >> forever, I hope - they just don't understand lean and mean
> >> is just a tad more professional.
> >> Take Google - you think a flash intro would have worked for
> >> them? No way.
>
> > Frank--agree completely. I'm still using classic Metalink--it wasn't
> > broken so why fix it? There were a few improvements that could have
> > been made, but keep the same basic clean look.
>
> Me too. Even someone with half a brain would realise that their target
> audience is Oracle professionals/DBAs, who want answers speedily, not
> cosmetics. If they wanted to throw some money at it, why on earth didn't
> they just improve the search facilities?

Not so sure about this - DBA is but a small part of Oracle these days, all the other stuff they are, um, Fusing in demands pretty piles of BS. Or so I'm guessing they are thinking. To use "thinking" loosely.

> IMHO the information on bugs/patches/workarounds, and other advice in
> the Notes is generally first class, but sometimes it can be time
> consuming to find exactly what one seeks. It's frustrating when one
> thinks "I'm sure the answer is in here somewhere, but I'm damned if I
> can find it".

Yeah, I've gotten spoiled by google too :-)

I'm inconsistent with my bookmarking, though. Everywhere.

> Palooka

Metalink is broken for me, I don't know if it is because there is something wrong with my email (I vaguely recall some complaint about US accounts not being able to get in from non-US domains, my primary email has a funny ending because I have a Tonga domain), something wrong on their side (I was able to get in both ways from home, and the old way from work very recently), or because my damagement is tightfisted  about paying for support, since Oracle have been such muy grande bastardos por aņos. I may have shot myself in the foot, because I couldn't log on, so I asked for a new password, got it, tried it, still didn't work, re-registered using the same email address, and got an email saying I will need to wait for my administrator to approve my registration. That would be me, who can't log in. Kinda wondering about that primary/foreign key thing, using the same email.

I strongly feel Flash and pdf both suck for these purposes.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
How not to use technology to get away with killing your parents: