Active Dataguard connections

From: Steve Howard <stevedhoward_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2008 09:42:17 -0700 (PDT)

Hi All,

One of the features about which we are really excited in 11g is Active Dataguard. What we are talking about doing is having a primary 11g RAC (64 bit Linux) at our primary data center, and a standby 11g Dataguard RAC (64 bit Linux) at our remote data center.

We would like to send traffic for updates to, of course, only the primary database, and send the majority of our read only internet search traffic to our standby RAC with the database open read only and applying redo received from the primary. Easy enough.

However, we would also like to send some of our read only traffic to our primary if it can handle the load.

I know we can embed the standby cluster in our URL multiple times, and the client will round robin more connections to the read only service on our standby proportionately to the read only service on the primary, but is there any way we can use Oracle connection time load balancing (or anything else like a network load balancer) for this?

Has anyone used Active Dataguard like this yet? If so, do you have any best practices that you care to share?

Thanks,

Steve Received on Wed Oct 01 2008 - 11:42:17 CDT

Original text of this message