Re: Interview type Question

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 12:20:07 -0700 (PDT)

On Sep 24, 7:46 am, raja <dextersu..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am learning Oracle, my PM asked me the following question, Please
> help me on this :
>
> You are a new employee at the company and the only Oracle DBA.
> You were just informed by the management that one of the Oracle DB
> Server is performing very badly for about a week now and
> that immediate analysis should be conducted.
> You are not familiar with the applications or the databases yet, but
> they ask you to find the problem as soon as possible.
> Please detail your plan of action, tools that you will use along the
> process, what would you check and how would you continue if you did
> not find any issue at the level or resource you are checking.
> Please explain things in a high level along with assumptions and
> recommendations.
>
> Please give me ur step-by-step level to proceed for the above
> scenario.
>
> Thanks in Advance.
> With Regards,
> Raja.

Since the city of ur was in ancient Sumeria, they didn't have the mythology that included Oracle. However, the site is still there at Tell el-Mukayyar, Iraq, and you are welcome to see whatever ziggurat catches your attention.

My country doesn't have a PM, so I don't know how to answer to yours.

As far as performance problems go, there is plenty on the web you can research, there are differences of opinion as to how to go about it, so the question is silly here, and could be perhaps sillier in an interview, should it be given with the expectation of a particular answer.

See the Oracle Performance Tuning manual for one methodology, which isn't the best. If someone were to give an interview with the expectation that you know about another methodology, well, just by having to post this here you fail. Try looking at the recommended books at asktom.oracle.com

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
Who's on that machine?