Re: physical and logical standby database on same server

From: sybrandb <>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 01:38:01 -0700 (PDT)

On 23 sep, 22:15, nhk <> wrote:
> Can physical and logical standby database exists on the same
> server(production database is on different server)?
> What are the implications of it?
> thanks
> Hiten

Yes, depending on version, this is possible. On Oracle 8i this is not yet possible, but on Oracle 9i and higher it is. You can have standby databases cascade to each other, so archivelogs for standby database 1 are automatically forwarded to standby database 2.
If both databases are on one server you can make sure the archivelogs are shipped only once.
Obviously this is in the Dataguard Concepts and Administration Manual, and I would have to re-read the corresponding chapters to provide more info.
As I'm not using Dataguard at the moment, I recommend you do this.

Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA