Re: San-Based replication VS DataGuard replication

From: <>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 10:49:45 -0700 (PDT)

On Sep 19, 12:42 pm, macdba321 <> wrote:
> Group,
>  I have a database at Site1 stored on a SAN, and a disaster-recovery
> site2 with identical hardware. They are connected by high-speed fiber.
> (Both SANs are enterprise-class with full journaling capabilities in
> case the connection were ever severed.)
>   I am researching Pros & Cons of using DataGuard to keep Site2 ready
> for disaster time, VS letting the SAN manage keeping the two sites in
> sync.
>   What are your opinions on these 2 methods?
> Thank you!!
> -mac

Guessing you are comparing with Physical Standby of DataGuard. A big factor to consider is the SAN replication licensing cost with additional Oracle licensing required for Data Guard. SAN replication is easier to setup (just my opinion) and requires less monitoring/ administration. With Data Guard you have the ability to open in readonly  mode anytime you want, while with SAN replication (and with no extra Oracle licensing ) you are limited to validating for 10days / year.

-Madhu S Received on Mon Sep 22 2008 - 12:49:45 CDT

Original text of this message