Problem with offline restore of database

From: <nkamkar28_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2008 15:08:26 -0700 (PDT)

Hi

I posted this a while back, but haven't been able to get far. I am a MSc student and this problem is going to cost me all my hard work. I am even willing to pay someone (within my budget) who can help me with this data restore.

Please reply to me if you can help.

Many thanks

I have a Windows server 2003 SP2 with all updates (as of 2 months ago) running Oracle 10g with some development and test data and a few schemas. The windows on the server has been damaged beyond repair, so we have setup another Windows server on another hardware. The ORacle backup we had is incomplete and not working very well. However, all the original Oracle database files and folders on the original server are in good shape and in tact.

Can anyone advise or point e inthe right direction of how to restore this database on the new server. Naively, I copied the entire Oracle database folder onto the new machine, but that obviously didn't work. I think it is because the new installation of Oracle just doesnt know about this, so just copying the files is not enough. But surely there must be an easy way of doing thisin Oracle. It is dead easy (almost) with SQL Server.

Any advice would be greeeeeeeeeatly and desperately appreciated.

Regards

N K Received on Fri Sep 19 2008 - 17:08:26 CDT

Original text of this message