Re: calculate size of a data type used in a create table stmt

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 17:16:25 -0700 (PDT)

On Sep 14, 10:55 pm, fresher <prashanth3..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to know if there is any way to find out the length  of
> datatype mentioned in a create table stmt.
> For example:
>   create table employee(empno number(3),empname varchar(10));
>
> in the above DDL i have mentioned the size of my number datatype as 3.
> is there a way to retrieve that info.?
> apart from desc<table_name>???????
>
> Thanks in advance

The physical size is different from the DDL defined length. See http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14220/datatype.htm#sthref3818

You have to be careful what you ask for, you might get it. What are you going to use this information for?

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
So, do you run AV on your Windows Oracle server?