Re: How to indicate end of clob from pl/sql?

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 14:25:32 -0700 (PDT)

On Sep 16, 6:54 am, Mark D Powell <Mark.Pow..._at_eds.com> wrote:
> On Sep 15, 2:32 pm, bclar..._at_gmail.com wrote:

> > > You post reads like you are just complaigning because you do not
> > > understand how to properly deal with CLOBs.  The Oracle LOB data types
> > > work fine.  To understand how the feature works read the Application
> > > Developers Guide - Large Objects.  In other words there is an entire
> > > manual on the subject of LOBs though only a portion of  the manual is
> > > on CLOB.  You can skip over the BLOD and BFILE portions if you only
> > > need to understand working with CLOBs.  But there is no substitute for
> > > the knowledge contained in the manual.  It will be beneficial to you
> > > to cover this material prior to designing and coding your application.
>
> > > LOB IO bypasses the buffer cache.  The basic unit for LOB operations
> > > is the chuck size.  When the actual length of the data is large
> > > setting the chunk size up may be a reasonable decision.
>
> > > HTH -- Mark D Powell --
>
> > Yeah, that is what I was doing, complaining.  Bad form maybe if done
> > impolitely,  but sometimes effective nonetheless.  I wasn't trying to
> > be impolite.
>
> > I was kinda trolling for that Clob expert out there that could
> > concisely and completely distill all the important aspects of and
> > gotchas surrounding LOBS into a couple of paragraphs that would be
> > easier to read and grok than reams of scattered oracle reference docs
> > many of which I have read but not all of which I have understood
> > fully.
>
> > That energetic expert's post would then be archived on google groups
> > for eternity to assist the me and any other lob-confused coders of the
> > world, as well as garnering them glory and acclaim for generations to
> > come.
>
> > ;-P
>
> > Still, if there isn't a principle of "don't make me learn something
> > complicated unless there is really no other option" in software
> > design, perhaps there should be.  That's my only real issue with
> > CLOBs.  Of course they do work, if you know how to use them.
>
> > The other thing is lack of an alternative between VARCHAR2(4000) and
> > CLOB.  Something with approximately the same limitations as a java
> > string would be perfect..  There are alot of applications that aren't
> > very performance sensitive but are time-to-code sensitive.  Premature
> > optimization is the root of all evil and all that jazz.- Hide quoted text -

> Actually I just saw a reference yesterday to an article that states
> that it takes 10 years to become a competent programmer.
> Unfortunately when something is easy there is also the liklihood that
> it is wrong or at least not the best approach.  I just suggest you
> skim the manual reading the CLOB sections to ensure that the decisions
> you make today are going to be ones that one work for you now and two
> are likely to be decisions that you can live with down the road.
>
> HTH -- Mark D Powell --

Personally, I think my competency as a programmer peaked at 5 years, and has been beaten down since. But then again, competency of selfevaluation  may have its own issues.

There are certainly different levels of competency required for different types of programming. Nuclear power plant control systems v. apex web reports, say. I heard someone from the NTSB yesterday morning on the radio talking about how Amtrak was told years ago they should have an automatic computer override when train engineers goof up and miss train signals. My first thought was "I hope they have a manual override for that, and it ignores the issues that have been gone over repeatedly in comp.risks." (For those who woudn't know, 25 people killed on Friday afternoon Metrolink train, rumor has it the engineer was texting some train fanboys at the time [and the spokesperson who said that has resigned]. My train's schedule is still messed up by it, amtrak web site can't handle it, I can't help but wonder if I've seen some analytics posts in the past from the people working on that site).

There have been many attempts at making things simpler for particular programming functions, 4GL's and various GUI things, some work well for what they are designed for. I think the CLOB stuff just hasn't been around long enough to simplify, and the java crowd thinks they are great programmers. Some of them are, some of them are kooks, some web sites are just atrocious because of bad java programming.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
“Obviously I would change the title.” - David Lereah, the former chief