Re: hiding Tables

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 06:25:40 -0700 (PDT)

On Sep 12, 9:14 am, "fitzjarr..._at_cox.net" <orat..._at_msn.com> wrote:
> On Sep 12, 3:30 am, Mass <mass..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Dear All,
>
> > I have a data base on oracle 10g i want to hiding some tables but i
> > didn't know the steps to do that and How i will show it later?
>
> > Thanks a lot
>
> What, exactly, do you mean by 'hiding some tables'?  There are ways to
> restrict access to certain data to certain users, but that's not
> called 'hiding tables'.
>
> David Fitzjarrell

Mass, by default if you create a table the only users who can see that table are you and users with the select any table privilege such as DBA's. You have to issue object level privileges: select, insert, update, delete to allow other users to access your table.

As David asked, what do you mean by, "hiding some tables". Perhaps you want to look into encryption, views, Virtual Private Database (VPD) also called Fine Grained Access Control (FGAC).

encryption - require encoding and decoding of raw data so it can be seen in clear form only via an authorized application

view - restricts columns and rows returned via a predefined query

VPD - Prior to 10g applies a policy rule to filter rows returned based on how rule applies to querying user. With 10g+ can also be used to nullify column value returned.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Fri Sep 12 2008 - 08:25:40 CDT

Original text of this message