Re: Inserting/Updating Unicode Data

From: Laurenz Albe <>
Date: 12 Sep 2008 07:10:57 GMT

rob <> wrote:
> We have a .NET application that can run against a SQL Server or Oracle
> 9i / 10g database. This application allows user to preview data for
> many languages on the same form (using Arial Unicode MS font). In sql
> server we are not having any issues inserting / previewing data from
> the NVarchar fields, but with Oracle once the data is saved and
> retrieved the the database upside down questons marks are being
> shown.
> I don't completely understand why I would have to change the client
> "NLS_LANG", due to the fact that our client is application is a
> unicode app. I thought the whole point of using "NVarchars" was to
> allow the storing of National characters.

Yes, but that is the server side.

How should the Oracle client know that what you feed it is UTF-8 (if it is)?
This question is totally independent of the database character set.

You must tell it by setting NLS_LANG appropriately.

Laurenz Albe Received on Fri Sep 12 2008 - 02:10:57 CDT

Original text of this message