Re: RMAN encryption or TDE

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 19:36:57 -0700

emdproduction_at_hotmail.com wrote:
>> RMAN encryption protects your backup sets.
>> TDE protects your online data files.
>>
>> 2 different things and purposes.
>>
>> Regards
>> Michel

> Thanks Michel, but if you read the link i provided, it clearly stated
> in the first paragraph that TDE is a way to protect database backup
> tapes.

I have reported it to the writers.

Certainly TDE will protect backups ... but only to the extent of those specific columns in specific tables that are encrypted. That is very different from encrypting everything else in the database.

I would also suggest you look up Oracle Data Vault and, if in 11g, Secure Tablespaces.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
Oracle Ace Director & Instructor