Re: RMAN Moving Archivelogs

From: <sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl>
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2008 22:52:33 +0200

On Tue, 9 Sep 2008 13:27:06 -0700 (PDT), artmerar_at_yahoo.com wrote:

>We are about to implement our RMAN backups, thanks to everyone here
>and their advice. One question, say our archive destination fills
>up. We currently have a script which moves all but the latest 3
>files.
>
>How would I tell RMAN where the archivelogs have been copied to? We
>are not using a recovery catalog......
>
>Regards.

Version is as always important. In 10g and higher EE you should be able to set up alternate archive locations using the log_archive_dest_<n> parameters
Apart from that in 10g you should ideally archive to the Flash Recovery Area. The size of this area is configurable.

Your scenario requires extra uncatalog catalog commands. Bound to fail, while difficult to automate.
If you don't use the alternate destination and don't use the flash recovery area, scheduling separate archivelog backups will be a much better idea.

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA