Re: RMAN Moving Archivelogs

From: <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2008 13:35:35 -0700 (PDT)

On Sep 9, 3:27 pm, artme..._at_yahoo.com wrote:
> We are about to implement our RMAN backups, thanks to everyone here
> and their advice.  One question, say our archive destination fills
> up.  We currently have a script which moves all but the latest 3
> files.
>
> How would I tell RMAN where the archivelogs have been copied to?  We
> are not using a recovery catalog......
>
> Regards.

You should be using RMAN to backup and remove those archivelogs before such an event occurs. RMAN uses the log_archive_dest_n parameters configured in the init.ora or spfile, so if you move them you can't tell RMAN what you've done, as far as I know.

You're better off scheduling regular archivelog backups through RMAN and deleting the files afterwards.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Tue Sep 09 2008 - 15:35:35 CDT

Original text of this message