Re: RMAN Archivelog question

From: <artmerar_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2008 06:55:27 -0700 (PDT)

On Sep 8, 4:47 pm, sybra..._at_hccnet.nl wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Sep 2008 11:01:47 -0700 (PDT), artme..._at_yahoo.com wrote:
> >If you use the DELETE INPUT in your backup command (PLUS ARCHIVELOG),
> >would you even need to do a crosscheck?
>
> A crosscheck is necessary when someone decides to delete backups or
> archivelogs without using RMAN, ie directly from the OS.
>
> It is appreciated
> a) you answer doc questions yourself by reading the docs
> b) don't ask questions two times within a few minutes.
>
> --
> Sybrand Bakker
> Senior Oracle DBA

Sybrand,

Sometimes the documentation is not really clear. For example, if I use a recovery window, say 2 weeks, and my archive logs are included in my level 0 backup and I use a DELETE INPUT to remove the archive logs. Why would I need a crosscheck for archive logs? They are included in the backup, and they have been removed once backed up. Additionally, I'm assuming that I would not need a 'DELETE ARCHIVELOG' statement either.

The docs are not very clear on this........

Regards. Received on Tue Sep 09 2008 - 08:55:27 CDT

Original text of this message