Re: 10g with HACMP (no RAC)?

From: <sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl>
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2008 22:57:31 +0200

On Sun, 07 Sep 2008 22:16:13 +0200, Uwe Weber <uwe.weber_at_teleos-web.de> wrote:

>Yes, it is. If HACMP decides that the active node has gone missing,
>it varies on the shared vgs, mounts the shared filesystems and sets
>an IP alias with the cluster's ip on the "public" interface of the
>standby node. It then executes all the application startup scripts
>which you have configured into the Ressource Group (RG). One of these
>scripts should start your Oracle instance, which will do an instance
>recovery. Or at least this is the case with a node failure.
>
>In case of a RG move your scripts should shutdown the instance on
>the activie side and restart it on the other node.
>
>Of course you have to do all the error checking in the scripts yourself
>and take care of every possible situation that could go wrong with
>db shutdown or startup.
>
>Regards,
>uwe

Obviously, not using RAC, you won't have any load balancing and transparent application failover.
You also don't have the option of cross instance recovery (instance 2 helps instance 1 in recovery).

Consequently I don't understand why you see this as a viable solution.

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA