Re: 10g with HACMP (no RAC)?

From: Palooka <nobody_at_nowhere.com>
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2008 00:42:43 +0100

sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl wrote:
> On Sat, 06 Sep 2008 21:14:28 +0100, Palooka <nobody_at_nowhere.com>
> wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> We are planning to implement Oracle 10.2.0.4 on AIX 5.3 with HACMP but
>> without RAC.

> Why? HACMP only offers server and application failover, it does not
> offer any special facilities for Oracle. So the instances will not
> failover properly.
> In Oracle 10g RAC you don't even need HACMP!
> Also Oracle RAC allows for active/passive configurations.

Thanks for the response, Sybrand.

Two reasons: First, the application vendor does not support RAC, except maybe as active/passive. But for that the RAC licence cost is prohibitively expensive.

Secondly, whether we like it or not, the customer is a dedicated IBM shop (personally I have doubts about AIX being the best *nix platform for Oracle; I would far rather use Solaris or HP/UX). So HACMP is a given.

In any case, the architectural decisions have been made; I am just the poor DBA who has actually to do the implementation. Can you offer some practical advice?

Thanks,
Palooka Received on Sat Sep 06 2008 - 18:42:43 CDT

Original text of this message