Re: design question

From: Chris Seidel <cseidel_at_arcor.de>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2008 16:44:59 +0200

DA Morgan wrote:
> "Best" depends on what you are going to do with it other than store
> it.

Query it. I have to find objects fast based on the field data (=, >, <, between, like)

> "Best" depends on whether you require it reconstituted as XML at some
> point in the future.

No XML needed.

> "Best" depends, to a lesser extent, on your version which you don't
> state (3 decimal places).

A stores all as string, no problem.
For B a new column will be there numeric(x,y) with y >= 3. But for 99 % of the objects 2 decimal places will be ok.

> My preference for reasons that range from performance to reporting to
> storage to relational theory is to shred XML into its constituent
> elements storing each with its proper data type.

So you would prefer A?
What about the many null columns in this approach? Received on Fri Sep 05 2008 - 09:44:59 CDT

Original text of this message