Re: Recovery Catalog vs Control File

From: Palooka <nobody_at_nowhere.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 20:03:25 +0100

exec_at_chicagorsvp.com wrote:
> I've read a lot about this concept, Recovery Catalog vs Control File.
> I'm just looking for some real life experience comments.
>
> I've always thought that using a recovery catalog only gives you yet
> another instance to back up.
>
> What are some of your experiences.......it'd help me make my
> decision. Reading is not the same as getting real life comments......

PMFJI. I am being challenged on this, so would also be glad of comments. IMHO, in an enterprise scenario, there is one big advantage to using a recovery catalog (on a separate dedicated server of course):

It facilitates centralised monitoring/reporting of multiple database backups on umpteen different instances on various boxes.

Another advantage is that backup information is retained far longer: If   I need to restore a backup from eight months ago to rerun some year-end report or to satisfy the auditors, it is easy. Try that with CONTROLFILE_RECORD_KEEP_TIME! Palooka Received on Fri Aug 29 2008 - 14:03:25 CDT

Original text of this message