Re: RAC and hostnames

From: Michael Austin <maustin_at_firstdbasource.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 22:48:44 -0500

DA Morgan wrote:
> Loial wrote:

>>> You may tweak tns settings on client side for failiover using
>>> type=session/select and mode (or method,  dont remember the exact
>>> technical keyword at this time) to basic/preconnect.
>>
>> So to clarify...it does not matter that the original hostname is
>> referenced in the JDBC connection string?

> No. You should not refer to the host by name but rather refer to
> the IP address by VIP. Please follow the link I posted and look
> at the example. It is self-explanatory if you also look at the
> sample /etc/hosts file.

Your hosts should have both a physical name/IP address and a virtual name/IP address and your JDBC THIN entry should look something like: url="jdbc:oracle:thin:@(DESCRIPTION=

      (LOAD_BALANCE=on)
         (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=clusnode-1vip)(PORT=1521))
         (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=clusnode-2vip)(PORT=1521))
         (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=clusnode-3vip)(PORT=1521))
         (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=clusnode-4vip)(PORT=1521))
         (CONNECT_DATA=(SERVICE_NAME=WHATEVER)))"

one ADDRESS entry for each VIP. Make sure ALL Physical, VIP and Interconnect IP addresses are entered into your /etc/hosts.

If you have further questions a google or metalink search for jdbc and RAC should find the required information/docs. Received on Thu Aug 28 2008 - 22:48:44 CDT

Original text of this message