Re: Oracle newbie questions

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 16:43:36 -0700 (PDT)

On Aug 28, 2:56 pm, es330td <es33..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> I am a 14 year SQL Server DBA/developer.  My company has a web based
> enterprise application we license to clients and up until they have
> all used SQL Server backends.  We have an RFP on the table to license
> the software to a new client but they want to use Oracle 11g as their
> datastore.  In addition to MSSQL, I've done development/design work in
> the past on Informix and DB2 so adapting to a new RDBMS should be
> straightforward.  That said, I am going to have to convert a number of
> stored procedure from Transact SQL and have never written anything in
> PL/SQL.  I have about a month to get the application up and running on
> Oracle.  (Note that 95% of the logic is in the webpages and only
> limited stored procedure are used throughout the site.)
>
> I went to oracle.com and registered and then downloaded Oracle
> Database 11g Release 1, Oracle Database 11g Release 1 Client and
> Oracle Database 11g Examples
>
> Oracle appears to have an installation guide to get me started (IT is
> configuring a clean W2K3 install for me) but I'm sure I am going to
> need some reference materials for Oracle, especially PL/SQL.  If
> anyone know of any books they like they can recommened I would
> appreciate it.
>
> This system will be W2K3 and Oracle 11g
>
> TIA
I would bring in immediately someone experienced in TSQL to PLSQL conversions. Make sure they are qualified and have relevant experience.

Work with them for at least a month.

The learning curve is large and fairly steep. Putting it all on you is asking a whole lot.

The references and pointers that others have given you are good. Tom Kyte's books are solid.

Oracle does many things very very differently that SQL Server. It you don't understand the differences ... it is often possible to get things working in oracle when one person is testing/running things at a time. Then when multiple things are occurring simultaneously ... you may have coded yourself into a deep dark place.

Good luck. Received on Thu Aug 28 2008 - 18:43:36 CDT

Original text of this message