Re: What are the advantages of migrating appliations from Oracle 8i to the 10g platform?

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 15:59:17 -0700 (PDT)

On Aug 26, 7:59 am, Mark D Powell <Mark.Pow..._at_eds.com> wrote:
> On Aug 22, 2:09 am, "Vladimir M. Zakharychev"
>

> <vladimir.zakharyc..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Aug 21, 6:38 pm, EliasFigueroa <Eliasf..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > What are the advantages of migrating appliations from Oracle 8i to the
> > > 10g platform
>
> > If your applications don't evolve and "just work", probably none. You
> > may get some performance improvements from migrating, but you may well
> > get all sorts of problems, slowdowns and incompatibilities if your PL/
> > SQL code is quirky and your SQL is not CBO-friendly and you didn't
> > account for the new features in it, or if your application was built
> > using some old framework or platform. Sybrand's and Mark's points do
> > apply, but to a degree.
>
> > For example, we have an application that was written using Forms6i.
> > The app was certified against 8i and later 9iR2, but that's it. No 10g
> > or 11g, it simply won't work with these releases. Forms client can't
> > even use 9i client, it has to use its own v8 client. The app can't be
> > changed, nor can it be replaced, so there's no reason for us to
> > migrate in this case (unless we want to break it and train ourselves
> > in overnight DR. :))
>
> > Support is important, but if your application is working fine and you
> > didn't have any new issues with Oracle8i for the last 4 years that
> > required support calls then what difference will another 4 years
> > without support make? Besides, you can still get support, just not the
> > bug fixes - but most probably none will be needed anyway.
>
> > "Better is the enemy of good."
> >                     Voltaire
>
> > Regards,
> >    Vladimir M. Zakharychev
> >    N-Networks, makers of Dynamic PSP(tm)
> >    http://www.dynamicpsp.com
>
> Just a note: Oracle Forms 6i works with and is certified against 10gR1
> providing you have a certain patch level (16 I think).
>
> -- Mark D Powell --

I disagree that 4 years of no support necessary in the past predicts the future. In particular, I've seen places break after some employee turnover.

One additional benefit of coming into this century is having web access part of the product. Oracle makes the conversion not too difficult, see metalink Note:342500.1 section 3. Compatibility with older versions.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20080823/news_1b23merrill.html