Re: Oracle newbie questions

From: The Boss <usenet_at_No.Spam.Please.invalid>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 00:27:38 +0200

es330td wrote:
> I am a 14 year SQL Server DBA/developer. My company has a web based
> enterprise application we license to clients and up until they have
> all used SQL Server backends. We have an RFP on the table to license
> the software to a new client but they want to use Oracle 11g as their
> datastore. In addition to MSSQL, I've done development/design work in
> the past on Informix and DB2 so adapting to a new RDBMS should be
> straightforward. That said, I am going to have to convert a number of
> stored procedure from Transact SQL and have never written anything in
> PL/SQL. I have about a month to get the application up and running on
> Oracle. (Note that 95% of the logic is in the webpages and only
> limited stored procedure are used throughout the site.)
> I went to and registered and then downloaded Oracle
> Database 11g Release 1, Oracle Database 11g Release 1 Client and
> Oracle Database 11g Examples
> Oracle appears to have an installation guide to get me started (IT is
> configuring a clean W2K3 install for me) but I'm sure I am going to
> need some reference materials for Oracle, especially PL/SQL. If
> anyone know of any books they like they can recommened I would
> appreciate it.
> This system will be W2K3 and Oracle 11g
Just a couple of links that might prove useful:

Migrating Applications from Microsoft SQL Server to Oracle9i Database [An Oracle White Paper, November 2003, 52-page PDF]

Nice answer to a question on TSQL --> PL/SQL conversion: <quote>
as an oracle DBA who's had to convert t-sql to PL/SQL for an entire system, I can only offer two viable paths to achieve what you want.

  1. buy a translation tool and watch it totally wreck your code
  2. write a functional spec for the code, and get someone who can do PL/SQL to code it properly. </quote>

Blog-entry, titled:
"Oracle (PL/SQL) Equivalents for MS SQL Server (T-SQL) Constructs"

Paper, titled:
"PL/SQL and T-SQL; Birds of a Feather - Syntax Examples" [29-page PDF, mainly geared towards PL/SQL --> TSQL, but maybe useful?]

2 Wiki's ;-) : vs.