Oracle newbie questions

From: es330td <es330td_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 11:56:47 -0700 (PDT)

I am a 14 year SQL Server DBA/developer. My company has a web based enterprise application we license to clients and up until they have all used SQL Server backends. We have an RFP on the table to license the software to a new client but they want to use Oracle 11g as their datastore. In addition to MSSQL, I've done development/design work in the past on Informix and DB2 so adapting to a new RDBMS should be straightforward. That said, I am going to have to convert a number of stored procedure from Transact SQL and have never written anything in PL/SQL. I have about a month to get the application up and running on Oracle. (Note that 95% of the logic is in the webpages and only limited stored procedure are used throughout the site.)

I went to oracle.com and registered and then downloaded Oracle Database 11g Release 1, Oracle Database 11g Release 1 Client and Oracle Database 11g Examples

Oracle appears to have an installation guide to get me started (IT is configuring a clean W2K3 install for me) but I'm sure I am going to need some reference materials for Oracle, especially PL/SQL. If anyone know of any books they like they can recommened I would appreciate it.

This system will be W2K3 and Oracle 11g

TIA Received on Thu Aug 28 2008 - 13:56:47 CDT

Original text of this message