Re: What are the advantages of using an alias for local_listener

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 06:22:51 -0700 (PDT)

On Aug 26, 7:42 pm, "trevor.willi..._at_rac.com.au" <trevor.willi..._at_rac.com.au> wrote:
> I have used (for example)
> local_listener = '(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL =TCP)(HOST=themis.sbd.com.au)
> (PORT=1537))'
> which seems to work fine. When I used dbua to upgrade to 10.2.0.4 it
> converted this to
> local_listener = LISTENER_CYCLTEST
> and added to tnsnames.ora:
> LISTENER_CYCLTEST.SBD.COM.AU =
> (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = themis.sbd.com.au)(PORT = 1537))
>
> What are the advantages of local_listener=lsnr_alias? Isn't the fact
> that there are two places requiring configuration rather than just one
> a probable disadvantage? Is it worth changing the config of other
> instances to use local_listener = lsnr_alias?
>
> ~trevor

We just use one listener per server for all databases, if more than one, on the server. We do not even code the local_listener parameter at all. We are mostly 9.2 but I checked our 10g Oracle Application Server install and its listener file is coded the same way.

If you plan to have named listeners I can see coding like the DBCA did but otherwise I would not even use the local_listener parameter.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Wed Aug 27 2008 - 08:22:51 CDT

Original text of this message