Re: weird Dataguard

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 15:43:37 -0700 (PDT)

On Aug 22, 11:37 am, <poky..._at_yahoo.fr> wrote:
> In article <f50ea93c-b873-45f3-a42b-93f2ddefe328
> @r35g2000prm.googlegroups.com>, joel-ga..._at_home.com says...
>

> > On Aug 21, 10:43 am, <poky..._at_yahoo.fr> wrote:
> > > Hi,
>
> > > Environment: Oracle 10.2.0.3 on windows server 2003 with MAA dataguard.
>
> > > Problem: Only REDO LOG FILE on standby database are written.
>
> > > It seems that LNS process work fine on primary, but LGWR process does
> > > not write anything on primary REDO LOG File.
>
> > > Please, could you tell me where can I investigate ?
>
> > > Thanks
>
> > Please tell us how you are determining the primary redo is not being
> > written.  That would indeed be weird.  "a transaction will not commit
> > until the redo needed to recover that transaction is written to the
> > local online redo log and to at least one remote standby redo log."
>
> > I'm guessing you have a confusion between LNS and LGWR?
> >http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b25159/config...
>
> > Also see bug Bug 5746174 if your db is hanging.
>
> > jg
> > --
> > @home.com is bogus.
> > Masters of Spin:  http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20080820/news_1b20sdge.html
>
> With the windows explorer I can see "Date modified" has not changed
> since months on primary redo logs.
> Redo log on standby has a modified date from today.
>
> With strings utility (under cygwin) I can see Seq# 0000000000 inside the
> primary redo log.
>
> Archived redo logs are a modified date from today on both machine !
>
> I don't understand how can I see why primary redo log are NOT updated ?

My guess is you are looking at the wrong files. Go into sqlplus / as sysdba and select * from v$logfile;
It isn't hard to change the log files and forget to remove the old ones. I don't know about Windows, but on unix it is possible to make silly mistakes like deleting things, but they don't go away until the file is closed, but you can't see them. I think that is possible with directories, but I haven't tried it.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/21/washington/21fbi.html?_r=1&oref=slogin