Re: Is there any problem restoring database from 9G to 9i

From: <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 10:57:49 -0700 (PDT)

On Aug 21, 11:28 am, Richard <RSL..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> SQL> connect / as sysdba
> Connected.
> SQL> quit
> Disconnected from Oracle9i Enterprise Edition Release 9.2.0.1.0 -
> Production
> With the Partitioning, Real Application Clusters, OLAP and Oracle Data
> Mining options
> JServer Release 9.2.0.1.0 - Production
>
> Hmm...it is 9i. Then the mystery deepens. We deployed the db on a RAC
> cluster. I presumed it had to be a G (for grid configuration ), but
> maybe RAC is not Grid and Grid only found in Oracle 10 ?  Like I said
> I inherited this Oracle system from someone else who's left the
> company and I am just starting to get familiar with Oracle.
>
> Also the new server i need to restore to is:
>
> Disconnected from Oracle9i Enterprise Edition Release 9.2.0.4.0 -
> Production
> With the Partitioning, OLAP and Oracle Data Mining options
> JServer Release 9.2.0.4.0 - Production
>
> Not exact version, is there a problem ?   Thanks Richard

Presuming you have sufficient disk space there shouldn't be. But it depends upon how you're going about this "make a copy of a database in 9G, and put it on another server with 9i." operation. If you're trying to clone this database then you'll need to run the catpatch.sql script to bring the catalog 'up to snuff' on the cloned database; this requires you start the database in migrate mode, run the $ORACLE_HOME/ rdbms/admin/catpatch.sql script then run $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin/ utlrp.sql to recompile all invalidated objects. If you're simply using exp/imp to accomplish this then the catalog issue goes away (you should already have an updated 9.2.0.4 catalog in your newly created, empty database) and it becomes an issue of disk space and file system configuration.

Since you're 'green' you may want to consider bringing in an experienced hand to help you with this task.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Thu Aug 21 2008 - 12:57:49 CDT

Original text of this message