Re: Newbie Question - What to use to open dump file?

From: <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 09:10:01 -0700 (PDT)

On Aug 19, 9:33 am, jfal..._at_socket.net wrote:
> On Aug 18, 10:46 am, "fitzjarr..._at_cox.net" <orat..._at_msn.com> wrote:
>

> > On Aug 18, 10:40 am, jfal..._at_socket.net wrote:
>
> > > I have a customer that wanted me to look at some of their data.  They
> > > gave me a dump file from there oracle database.  I don't have an
> > > oracle system.  I was wondering if there is a standalone method of
> > > using this data similar to MSDE type of MSSQL or the Sybase
> > > SQLAnywhere single user software.  I don't mind spending some money on
> > > a 1 user version of software, but I don't want to put in an entire
> > > system for what may be a 1 time thing.  I downloaded a mobile lite
> > > install, but if I understand the docs, it is the app server and client
> > > tier of a three tier system.  What tool would you recommend?  Thanks
> > > for your help.
>
> > Any of the releases of Oracle would be free for such use, as far as I
> > know.  However, to make a smaller 'footprint' on your system  you
> > might look into Oracle XE.  Of course any of these are available atwww.oracle.comonthe 'Downloads' page.
>
> > David Fitzjarrell
>
> I'm getting a message that says:
> Not Compatible
> Your export file is not supported.
> When I run the import script. from the Oracle front end.  It runs for
> a couple minutes and then this message pops up.  the version I have is
> XE 10g and opening the dmp with a text editor says EXPORT:V09.09.00
> so it was created with a lower version I think?  I am not sure of the
> layout of the tables and what not so I don't know where to go from
> here.  Any thoughts?
>
> On a side note, playing with the sample hr db that comes with the XE
> version is pretty slick.  I can see why people use oracle.- Hide quoted text -

Questions, questions:

  1. how was this .dmp file delivered to you?
  2. opening this file with a text editor MAY have caused problems. Can you obtain another copy?

Normally a .dmp created with the 9i exp tools will be 'importable' into a 10g database without issue, even XE. I'm expecting that you have a 'corrupted' file, most likely containing additional linefeed characters from an ASCII transfer. Such files should be transferred (via ftp) in binary mode.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Tue Aug 19 2008 - 11:10:01 CDT

Original text of this message