Re: Newbie Question - What to use to open dump file?

From: <jfalken_at_socket.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 07:33:29 -0700 (PDT)

On Aug 18, 10:46 am, "fitzjarr..._at_cox.net" <orat..._at_msn.com> wrote:
> On Aug 18, 10:40 am, jfal..._at_socket.net wrote:
>
> > I have a customer that wanted me to look at some of their data.  They
> > gave me a dump file from there oracle database.  I don't have an
> > oracle system.  I was wondering if there is a standalone method of
> > using this data similar to MSDE type of MSSQL or the Sybase
> > SQLAnywhere single user software.  I don't mind spending some money on
> > a 1 user version of software, but I don't want to put in an entire
> > system for what may be a 1 time thing.  I downloaded a mobile lite
> > install, but if I understand the docs, it is the app server and client
> > tier of a three tier system.  What tool would you recommend?  Thanks
> > for your help.
>
> Any of the releases of Oracle would be free for such use, as far as I
> know.  However, to make a smaller 'footprint' on your system  you
> might look into Oracle XE.  Of course any of these are available atwww.oracle.comon the 'Downloads' page.
>
> David Fitzjarrell

I'm getting a message that says:
Not Compatible
Your export file is not supported.
When I run the import script. from the Oracle front end. It runs for a couple minutes and then this message pops up. the version I have is XE 10g and opening the dmp with a text editor says EXPORT:V09.09.00 so it was created with a lower version I think? I am not sure of the layout of the tables and what not so I don't know where to go from here. Any thoughts?

On a side note, playing with the sample hr db that comes with the XE version is pretty slick. I can see why people use oracle. Received on Tue Aug 19 2008 - 09:33:29 CDT

Original text of this message