ASM extent and RAC process doubt

From: <lyxx09_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 11:12:34 -0700 (PDT)

Hi All,

10g R2 on Oracle EL 4.0

I am junior DBA and trying to learning stuff from documentation and implementing stuff on test machines.

I have 2 doubts whcih I could not find on net -

A)
While going through documentation for ASM, It is clearly mentioned that whatever datafile we would
create on ASM diskgroup will have 1 mb extent and it would be striped over all the disks available in the diskgroup - ( Just assuming external redu.. . )

I have database and only using ASM, if we have a Table which got it's extents more than 1 mb ( in LMT after some time extents size would be 1m .. 8m... and so on ..)

Then does that mean in dba_extents it is showing you as a single 8mb extents but in reality it is spreaded over 8 diff. extents on diff. disks which are associated in diskgroup . ?? ??

As per oracle documentation - Extents means N number of contiguous blocks ..

B) When I issued ps -ef | grep "d.bin" on one of the RAC node, I could see multiple process for

     same daemon like 2 ocssd.bin ..

I would be thankful if you can reply me on this.

Regards -
Lyxx Received on Mon Aug 18 2008 - 13:12:34 CDT

Original text of this message