Re: External library not being pinned in cache...

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 09:25:13 -0700 (PDT)

On Aug 15, 2:53 pm, BD <robert.d..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, all.
>
> Running 9i (don't have a version number) on Solaris.
>
> A stored procedure is calling an external C library.
>
> I'm looking to confirm whether or not this C library is being held in
> memory after it's called. The user is theorizing that it is not, and
> that it's being retrieved from disk each time it's called.
>
> I'm not sure whether I can expect that kind of external routine to
> stay pinned in the library cache or not. And if not, what the best way
> to ensure that it *does* stay pinned...
>
> Comments appreciated...
>
> BD

I'm thinking this is a feature, see metalink Note:302485.1 . The feature being:

"The function execution occurs in a seperate address space other than the Oracle servers address space , and this totally isolates the server from the effects of external procedure execution."

I'm guessing you could pin the package that calls the function, but that doesn't address your user's worry, since the library is outside of Oracle. On the other hand, I think buffering on the Solaris side might make it moot, so you should be careful with how you interpret system statistics. "See your System Administrator."

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
BNAFH:  http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/07/18/30FE-sf-network-lockout_1.html