Re: Licensing rules for Data Guard

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2008 12:20:09 -0700 (PDT)

On Aug 17, 9:50 am, "Neil Truby" <neil.tr..._at_ardenta.com> wrote:
> I'd like to try out Data Guard.
>
> - am I right that that it is not available as an option for Standard
> Edition, and is available only in Enterprise Edition?
> - is there anything within the code of Standard Ediiton that stops me trying
> it, or is it just an honour-based licensing system?
>
> The price differential between the versions is so vast that it is
> inconceivable that we could buy Enterprise Edition, so I'd like to find out
> the facts before wasting my time trying it.
>
> thanks
> Neil

While the marketing and changes to the various different ways you can configure it ( aka Data Guard ) have increased over the years the ability to run a standby database has been around for a very long time in oracle.

Check out the oracle documentation for the release you are interested in. Does it work? Yes. Are there some caveats and ways to configure yourself into non-optimal situations? Absolutely.

Lots of people have written books about it also some better than others if you don't want to use the free doc from oracle.

Do you have an OTN login? You can download EE version free and setup and test it out before deciding on a purchase. Received on Sun Aug 17 2008 - 14:20:09 CDT

Original text of this message