Re: Licensing rules for Data Guard

From: Donkey Hottie <spam_at_plc.is-a-geek.com>
Date: 17 Aug 2008 17:04:23 GMT

"Neil Truby" <neil.truby_at_ardenta.com> wrote in news:6gqogcFh4tr3U1_at_mid.individual.net:

> I'd like to try out Data Guard.
>
> - am I right that that it is not available as an option for Standard
> Edition, and is available only in Enterprise Edition?

Enterprise Edition only.

> - is there anything within the code of Standard Ediiton that stops me
> trying it, or is it just an honour-based licensing system?

Code refuses with an error message "Option not available" or something, if you try to configure Data Guard under Standard Edition.

> The price differential between the versions is so vast that it is
> inconceivable that we could buy Enterprise Edition, so I'd like to
> find out the facts before wasting my time trying it.

I once learned all about Data Guard for a client, but when it was time to implement it we learned that the cost of Enterprise Edition was too much, and the project failed. Received on Sun Aug 17 2008 - 12:04:23 CDT

Original text of this message