Re: SPFILE

From: EdStevens <quetico_man_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 14:08:47 -0700 (PDT)

On Aug 12, 12:13 pm, Mtek <m..._at_mtekusa.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are not using SPFILE now. But we have decided to. One the file is
> created, do we need to restart the instance for it to take effect, so
> then we can use ALTER SYSTEM to change parameters? Or once we create
> it, is it automatically active?
>
> Thanks.

Go back to the basics. The parameter file (whether text init file or spfile) is read as the first phase of startup. An only then. The bit about an spfile allowing you to change parms in a running instance is a bit of misunderstanding as well. The ability to change a parm in a running instance is a function of the particular parm (is it 'modifiable'?), not whether you used an init file or a spfile. What the spfile brings to the party (among other things) is the ability for the ALTER statement to modify the spfile, so that you don't have to go do that as a separate operation to gain persistence for the modification. Received on Wed Aug 13 2008 - 16:08:47 CDT

Original text of this message