Re: RAC and hostnames

From: DA Morgan <>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 13:20:40 -0700

Loial wrote:
> We have a customer running our application in a RAC cluster. The
> application runs on the database server and accesses an oracle
> database.
> Our application has the server hostname configured when installed.
> Customer says that in a failover scenrio that hostname will change.
> Is
> this the case?
> What can I do to ensure that our application runs Ok in failover
> without having to amend the hostname that it references?
> My knowledge of RAC is zer0.

Here is what we need to know to understand what you are doing:

  1. Oracle version (3 decimal places)
  2. Is failover being done with TAF or FCF
  3. Is connection using VIPs (Virtual IP Addresses)

There is a sample TNSNAMES.ORA file for a RAC cluster in Morgan's Library at under "REAL APPLICATION CLUSTERS." Look at how the host has been configured ... the host name does not even enter into the picture.

Daniel A. Morgan
Oracle Ace Director & Instructor
Puget Sound Oracle Users Group