Re: RAC and hostnames

From: <>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 07:12:41 -0700 (PDT)

On Aug 13, 7:52 am, Loial <> wrote:
> We have a customer running our application in a RAC cluster. The
> application runs on the database server and accesses an oracle
> database.
> Our application has the server hostname configured when installed.
> Customer says that in a failover scenrio that hostname will change.
> Is
> this the case?
> What can I do to ensure that our application runs Ok in failover
> without having to amend the hostname that it references?
> My knowledge of RAC is zer0.

RAC is a multiple-instance configuration accessing one set of database files, and usually the multiple instances are on multiple servers. It's very common for a failover scenario to cause the hostname to change, as the instance name will change as well. Proper configuration of the tnsnames.ora file keeps this transparent to the end-user, but it won't be to your application. If your app relies upon this hostname it will fail to run after an instance failover occurs.

What, exactly, is your application using the hostname for?

David Fitzjarrell Received on Wed Aug 13 2008 - 09:12:41 CDT

Original text of this message