Re: Help, my developers are killing me with varchar2(4000)

From: gazzag <gareth_at_jamms.org>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 05:09:36 -0700 (PDT)

On 13 Aug, 01:24, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:
> Criminal is a reasonable description. If physicians are required
> to take an oath to "do no harm" ... developers and DBAs should do
> so too. Those that ignore the proven capabilities of industrial
> strength databases are those that couldn't answer a question
> about third-normal form if doing so would save them from drowning.
> --
> Daniel A. Morgan
> Oracle Ace Director & Instructor
> University of Washington

I agree with all the comments regarding "bit-buckets". However, has anyone noticed that, when using Oracle XE's Object Browser to create a table - I don't use GUI's to create objects as I prefer to script them but I was demonstrating the GUI to a developer, ironically - when you create a column of type VARCHAR2 the scale defaults to a value of 4000?

Oracle's not even giving us DBA's a fighting chance to stamp out bad habits! :)

-g Received on Wed Aug 13 2008 - 07:09:36 CDT

Original text of this message