Can't TNSPing XE database

From: Knickerless Parsons <knickerlessparsons_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 02:20:53 -0700 (PDT)

Morning all,
I'm having difficulty getting TNSPING to see my local XE database.

I'm running oracle XE on Vista business. I can connect to the database fine using SQL Plus and even SQL Developer

After installing XE, I installed the Oracle tools for .NET from here (http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/tech/windows/odpnet/ index.html)

There are no other oracle products installed on my machine.

I initially noticed the problem when I couldn't see my local database from within Visual Studio, Further investigation lead me to TNSPING which also doesn't work. My guess is that if I can fix the issue with TNSPING, that all will be well in the world of .NET.

Output from TNSPING shown below:

TNS Ping Utility for 32-bit Windows: Version 10.2.0.1.0 - Production on 13-AUG-2008 10:08:32

Copyright (c) 1997, 2005, Oracle. All rights reserved.

Used parameter files:
C:\oraclexe\app\oracle\product\10.2.0\server\network\admin\sqlnet.ora

TNS-03505: Failed to resolve name

Contents of the specified SQLNET.ORA file (above), the path in the comment at the top doesn't exist!:

# sqlnet.ora Network Configuration File: C:\oracle\product \10.2.0\client_1\network\admin\sqlnet.ora # Generated by Oracle configuration tools.

#SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (NTS)
sqlnet.authentication_services = (NONE)

#NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH= (LDAP, TNSNAMES)
NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH= (TNSNAMES, HOSTNAME, LDAP) NAMES.DEFAULT_DOMAIN = world

SQLNET.EXPIRE_TIME = 0 NAME.DEFAULT_ZONE = world

TNSNAMES.ORA (slightly modified to preserve anonymity! - asterix's on the address line) :

#ifile='C:\oraclexe\app\oracle\product\10.2.0\server\NETWORK\ADMIN \tnsnames.ora'

XE =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = LB05568.****.****.****.net) (PORT = 1521))
    (CONNECT_DATA =
(SERVER = DEDICATED)
(SERVICE_NAME = XE)

    )
  )

EXTPROC_CONNECTION_DATA =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = EXTPROC_FOR_XE))
    )
    (CONNECT_DATA =
(SID = PLSExtProc)
(PRESENTATION = RO)

    )
  )

ORACLR_CONNECTION_DATA =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = EXTPROC_FOR_XE))
    )
    (CONNECT_DATA =
(SID = CLRExtProc)
(PRESENTATION = RO)

    )
  )

The oracle tools for .NET seem to have created a second oracle home but I can't see a home selector app on my start menu.

I also tried TNSPING XE.WORLD which also doesn't work!

I have tried creating a TNS_ADMIN environment variable (using the set command) pointing to the directory which contains the above files:

line of output of set command below

tns_admin = C:\oraclexe\app\oracle\product\10.2.0\server\network\admin

I'm sure that this worked ok previously, I recently removed the oracle tools for .NET and reinstalled just to be sure of the version I was running. The install failed a couple of times before it completed successfully.

All suggestions greatly appreciated, give me a shout if I've been a bit vague anywhere.

Much appreciated,
Dave. Received on Wed Aug 13 2008 - 04:20:53 CDT

Original text of this message