Re: SPFILE

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 10:28:57 -0700 (PDT)

On Aug 12, 1:13 pm, Mtek <m..._at_mtekusa.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are not using SPFILE now.  But we have decided to.  One the file is
> created, do we need to restart the instance for it to take effect, so
> then we can use ALTER SYSTEM to change parameters?  Or once we create
> it, is it automatically active?
>
> Thanks.

Oracle will look for the spfile before it looks for the init.ora so if one is found it will be used. If you run RAC and have separate Oracle Home directories (separate physical locations) you code one line in the init.ora that points to the shared spfile location.

You can find the steps to create the spfile in the DBA Administration manual.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Tue Aug 12 2008 - 12:28:57 CDT

Original text of this message