Re: Help, my developers are killing me with varchar2(4000)

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 00:00:19 +1000

Serge Rielau wrote,on my timestamp of 11/08/2008 11:53 PM:

> Aren't there some severe limitations on what you can do with a CLOB?
>
> There seems to be a general movement in the industry to support random
> length strings while keeping row-chaining in check.
> That is to inline LOBs in the row as far as is possible without chaining
> while providing a full complement of (fast) string manipulation function
> on them.

you have got to re-read the doco for 10g and 11g, been available for a while. most of the liitations have been removed. most of the string manipulation functions now work quite well with clobs. and the in-lining has been there since clob's started in 8. Received on Mon Aug 11 2008 - 09:00:19 CDT

Original text of this message