Re: MSACCESS hangs

From: Pete's <empete2000_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2008 05:59:24 -0700 (PDT)

On Jul 25, 11:38 am, joel garry <joel-ga..._at_home.com> wrote:
> On Jul 23, 7:37 am, "Pete's" <empete2..._at_yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> > Server -- AIX 5.3 TL06 SP03, Oracle 10.2.0.1 EE
> > Client -- Windows XP, MS Access 2003 using Oracle's ODBC driver
>
> > Hey all, have a user having a problem now trying to get a listing of
> > tables via 'link tables' operation MS Access, this is after the login
> > dialog.  I can see the session connect and stays active until I
> > eventually have to kill the session.  Looking at the sql it's running:
>
> > SELECT count(*)
> >     FROM user$ u, xdb.xdb$schema s
> >     WHERE u.user# = :1
> >       AND u.name = s.xmldata.schema_owner
> >       AND xdb.xdb$extname2intname(s.xmldata.schema_url,
> > s.xmldata.schema_owner) = :2
>
> > Anyone have any ideas, besides upgrading?  I have updated dictionary
> > stats, System stats are set and have not changed.
>
> > TIA,
> > Pete's
>
> While looking for something completely different, I stumbled over
> this:  http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/appdev.102/b14259/xdb26i...
> I have no clue about xdb, but I'm wondering if there is something
> special about it that is influencing your problem.
>
> jg
> --
> @home.com is bogus.
> Revenge is a dish best served hidden away in secret dark places no one
> will ever find.  http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20080725/news_1n25revenge.html

Thanks for the response Joel, not sure if it's related either, I'll check into it. For now I solved the problem with patching the client to the latest, 10.2.0.4, also found that the 11.1.0.6 client works too. Additional testing found that any connection to a database with less than 10,000 objects worked fine. After much digging, I also found an issue another person had where they had pinpointed the number of objects to be around 32,768 where they started experiencing problems similar to this.

Thanks,
Pete's Received on Tue Aug 05 2008 - 07:59:24 CDT

Original text of this message