Re: oracle - high cpu usage

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2008 22:16:26 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 16:16:06 +0200, kawu wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Few days ago my database "eat" a lots of CPU and has high events waits
> and I/O waits. Now problem is gone, but I want to know what to do in
> future if that situation come back. How to find which session/sql cause
> problem? What to do with that session?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> kawu.

Try playing Slim Whitman tunes to that session. It worked in the movie "Mars Attacks". It might work for you, too. If it doesn't, then try reading a book or two about tuning Oracle databases.

Your OS should give you the process id of the process that consumes the CPU. V$SESSION joined with V$PROCESS should help you with finding the SID. Now, your job is about to begin. Good luck. You can also forgo the search for the session and just locate the most expensive SQL from the AWR report. Then tune the sucker.

--
http://mgogala.freehostia.com