Re: ORA-04021: timeout occurred while waiting to lock object

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 10:42:30 -0700 (PDT)

On Jul 31, 3:04 am, pejantan4u <pejanta..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear gurus,
>
> I had this message when i tried to export a schema, please tell me why
> this happens?
>
> i ran this script, exp schema/schema_at_sid file=schema.dmp
>
> thanks

Oracle 9 and 10 should have an object identifier at the end of the error to give you a clue. You can also use various scripts or tools to see what is locked. It helps to say your exact version, there's an O9 bug having to do with compiling pl/sql, another one with smon locking undo (which might show up if you have read consistency issues trying to export while others update). 10.1 has a bug if you are doing any DDL while exporting, see Note:298968.1.

Metalink Note: 169139.1 is the basic description on how to figure out the problem. It's best to do exports when no one is on, and check the utilities manual for the consistent parameter.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.  “We have a saying out here in rural California:
'If you need a hip replacement, commit a felony,' ” - Charles