Re: Rman Explanation Please

From: <artmerar_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 08:42:57 -0700 (PDT)

On Jul 30, 6:02 pm, Palooka <nob..._at_nowhere.com> wrote:
> artme..._at_yahoo.com wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> > We just implemented RMAN and were reading the documentation and came
> > across this:
>
> > "For example, you can implement a three-level backup scheme so that a
> > full or level 0 backup is taken monthly, a cumulative level 1 is taken
> > weekly, and a differential level 1 is taken daily. In this scheme, you
> > never have to apply more than a day's worth of redo for complete
> > recovery."
>
> > We;re trying to understand that. The monthly level 0 is obviously a
> > full database backup. We do not understand the difference between the
> > cumulative level 1 and the differential level 1 if both seem to use
> > the monthly 0 as a source.
>
> > How does that all fit into only needing 1 days worth of logs??
>
> > Thanks all, we all appreciate it.
>
> In principle, if you have your level 0 backup available, plus all your
> incrementals, you can apply them all, and only need your logs since the
> last incremental backup. But if it's the wrong day you might need to
> restore 8 backups, plus apply today's redo.
>
> Instictively I prefer cumulative incremental backups if it is feasible.
> That way, you only need to restore one full backup, one cumulative
> incremental, then apply archive logs since the last backup and the
> online redo.
>
> Palooka

Palooka,

So, you may suggest a weekly level 0 incremental backup, backs up the entire database. Then after that, cumulative level 0 backups for the rest of the week. Should a restore be needed, then restore the level 0 incremental, then the level 0 cumulative, then archive logs......correct?

Seems simple enough....

Thank you. Received on Thu Jul 31 2008 - 10:42:57 CDT

Original text of this message