Rman Explanation Please

From: <artmerar_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 14:33:25 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

We just implemented RMAN and were reading the documentation and came across this:

"For example, you can implement a three-level backup scheme so that a full or level 0 backup is taken monthly, a cumulative level 1 is taken weekly, and a differential level 1 is taken daily. In this scheme, you never have to apply more than a day's worth of redo for complete recovery."

We;re trying to understand that. The monthly level 0 is obviously a full database backup. We do not understand the difference between the cumulative level 1 and the differential level 1 if both seem to use the monthly 0 as a source.

How does that all fit into only needing 1 days worth of logs??

Thanks all, we all appreciate it. Received on Wed Jul 30 2008 - 16:33:25 CDT

Original text of this message