Re: Help, my developers are killing me with varchar2(4000)

From: <RogBaker_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 06:17:18 -0700 (PDT)

> OMG - are som eof our developers working for you as well?

Funny!

> I think part of the problem here is that many, particularly young and
> often web oriented developers just use the database as a 'bit
> bucket'.

> I think essentially, it is a combination of laziness (can't be bothered
> actually doing any formal analysis and data modeling) and ignorance
> (don't even understand when I try to explain why its bad design).

Often it is laziness. Sometimes ingnorance, and when I explain, they are usually happy to go by any recommendations that I made. However, I think in this case, the developers are under a deadline and they don't want to take the time to get the correct specs, or are afraid to pester the customer/end user with questions. They said "these were the design requirements provided." Like I am sure the administrators said "make every field varchar2(4000)." They don't even know what a datatype is.

> A big part of the problem is lack of experience.

True, we usually hire beginners because they are the only ones that accept the salary that is offered.