Re: Comments?

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 11:53:20 -0700 (PDT)

On Jul 26, 1:26 pm, "fitzjarr..._at_cox.net" <orat..._at_msn.com> wrote:
> Comments embedded.
> On Jul 22, 8:28 pm, "Dereck L. Dietz" <diet..._at_ameritech.net> wrote:
>
> > The below is a portion of an email describing how the plan for disaster
> > recovery has been explained to us.
>
> This plan is a disaster, and now that I've recovered from reading
> it ...
>
> > This is an Oracle 10g database running
> > on Windows 2003 server.
>
> > The way we did the disaster recovery backup is:
>
> >  Step1:
>
> >   1.. Export the entire db (with no rows option) - This will get a copy of
> > export to recreate the database with all users and system settings.
>
> And you can use imp with rows=n from a full export including rows to
> do the exact same thing.
>
> >   2.. Export the entire schema (with no rows option) - This will get a copy
> > of export to recreate empty table shells with indexes, keys and all
> > procedures, packages, functions and any other metadata for each user.
>
> And, gee whiz gollee whilikers, you can do THAT, too, from a full
> export including rows by using both the rows=n command-line parameter
> and the fromuser/touser options.

> >   3.. Export every table by schema (all table data) - This is all the data.
>
> Again, which you'd have in a full export including data.  So can
> someone explain why THREE exports are taken when ONE will suffice???

It's been too long since I've done it, but my recollection of going away from a single full exp is that the imp has to run through the entire export before it thinks it is done, so if you have a multistep restore with time pressure, you don't want to be waiting unnecessarily while it cranks through data you don't want yet. Please correct me if I'm wrong (I'd like to know if I'm doing obsolute stuff too!). In the multi-[hour|day] type of imp situation, you may have some things more important than others that you want rapidly brought back into service.

Obviously, I agree with everything else you've said.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.madore.org/~david/computers/connect-intr.html