Re: Oracle reports end query

From: Malcolm Dew-Jones <yf110_at_vtn1.victoria.tc.ca>
Date: 28 Jul 2008 09:13:00 -0800

Mark D Powell (Mark.Powell_at_eds.com) wrote:
: On Jul 21, 3:11=A0pm, yf..._at_vtn1.victoria.tc.ca (Malcolm Dew-Jones)
: wrote:
: > bang123 (vasuad..._at_gmail.com) wrote:
: >
: > : Hi,
: >
: > : We are migrating from Oracle 6i to Crystal Reports. Oracle reports
: > : were built using Oracle 6i Data Wizard and Query Builder. How can we
: > : see the end query (final query including joins for links) that is
: > : being executed by Oracle Reports? Oracle Reports 'trace' shows only
: > : parts of queries being executed, but not the entire query.
: >
: > : Thanks
: >
: > It might not be running an "end query". =A0Reports can loop over a query
: > getting one row at a time, and in between getting each row of that query
: > it might run another query based on all the conditions set up in the
: > report. =A0The second query may or may not have any obvious connection to
: > the first query. =A0
: >
: > In report builder you should be able to see all the details in one of the
: > windows (I cant check the names right now).

: I would think the case of where Reports Builder runs the second query
: using data retuned by the first query and report conditions would be
: where the raw sql trace file on the database would be helpful since it
: will show each query ran.

Yes, the trace file is very useful in understanding what queries are being run. In particular I have found it useful to check the ORDER BY which is added by reports to make the break conditions work (when they don't work as expected). Received on Mon Jul 28 2008 - 12:13:00 CDT

Original text of this message