Re: SQL Server for Oracle DBAs

From: Palooka <nobody_at_nowhere.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 21:12:13 +0100

NetComrade wrote:
> Anyone can recommend some links, some books?
>
> We support about two dozen Oracle dbs, and seems like we'll be getting
> a few SQL Servers to look into, and are just not read to hire a SQL
> DBA yet, but we'll look into outsourcing some stuff initially (and
> learn along).
>
> Thanks
> We run Oracle 9iR2,10gR2, 10g2RAC on RH4/RH5 and Solaris 10 (Sparc)
> We use RMAN and remote catalog for backups

I am not going to get involved in the inevitable flame wars. But wouldn't it be sensible to hire a *competent* SQL Server DBA, and then start a two way knowledge transfer process?

We all need to support the business, rather than indulge in zealotry (this remark is *not* directed at NetComrade, btw).

Palooka Received on Fri Jul 25 2008 - 15:12:13 CDT

Original text of this message