Re: Comments?

From: <rogergorden_at_....gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 11:33:07 -0700 (PDT)

On Jul 23, 8:21 pm, "Dereck L. Dietz" <diet..._at_ameritech.net> wrote:
> "Ed Prochak" <edproc..._at_gmail.com> wrote in message

> > On Jul 22, 8:28 pm, "Dereck L. Dietz" <diet..._at_ameritech.net> wrote:
> >> The below is a portion of an email describing how the plan for disaster
> >> recovery has been explained to us.  This is an Oracle 10g database
> >> running
> >> on Windows 2003 server.
>
> >> The way we did the disaster recovery backup is:
>
> >>  Step1:
>
> >>   1.. Export the entire db (with no rows option) - This will get a copy
> >> of
> >> export to recreate the database with all users and system settings.
> >>   2.. Export the entire schema (with no rows option) - This will get a
> >> copy
> >> of export to recreate empty table shells with indexes, keys and all
> >> procedures, packages, functions and any other metadata for each user.
> >>   3.. Export every table by schema (all table data) - This is all the
> >> data.
> >> Step2:     Every export file is zipped and encrypted using gpg
>
> >> Step3:     Move the whole archive to USB drive.
>
> >>  The entire process takes about 5 full days. Which is ok considering its
> >> once a month job. Most of it is automatically done except for moving to
> >> usb
> >> and preparing the scripts. The total size of this is about 170GB.
>
> >> We have 1tb disks which can hold up to 5 or 6 of these copies.
>
> > Along with other comments, I will add that this is at best half of
> > disaster recovery planning. Have you ever actually tried to restore
> > from these backups? Until you can successfully do that, you do not
> > have a recovery plan.
> >  Ed
>
> We haven't received the instructions on how to restore nor have we had a
> chance to practice a restore.- Hide quoted text -

I wise man once said to me: "You cannot possibly call yourself a DBA unless you can properly backup and restore a database."

I'd add to that that if you can't do that, then database administration, no matter how well you may code SQL, is beyond your grasp and that you are endangering the welfare of your company's data and your company's livelyhood if they rely on it by attempting to fill a role for which you aren't qualified.

If not RMAN, then why isn't that DBA doing hot backups using shell or PERL???
Is there ever any discussion on what if disaster strikes?? Is there ever any discussion on what if boneheaded jr. sysadmin deletes a datafile? What if a disk gets corrupted or just dies? Is the answer simply to run like hell and update your resume?

Let me guess, your PHB who thinks nothing of overpaying for his car, house, food and mistress decided to be frugal with what he pays professionals who manage his business.

Roger Received on Fri Jul 25 2008 - 13:33:07 CDT

Original text of this message