Re: Install patch BEFORE creating databases

From: Michael Schmarck <usenet-michael_at_schmarck.cn>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 13:12:22 +0200

Cristian Cudizio <cristian.cudizio_at_yahoo.it> wrote:

> On 25 Lug, 11:50, Michael Schmarck <usenet-mich..._at_schmarck.cn> wrote:

>> Hi.
>>
>> On a Solaris 10 Sparc 64bit system, I did a "software only" install
>> of Oracle 10.2.0.1.0. Now I'd like patch it to 10.2.0.3.0. But how
>> do I do that?
>>
>> I ran "runInstaller" from the patch and pointed it to the directory
>> where I installed the Oracle 10.2.0.1.0 software. But then I get
>> an error message telling me, that there already is such a directory.
>> And if I specify some empty directory, OUI tells me, that there's
>> nothing to patch in this directory.
>>
>> Is it possible to install the 10.2.0.3.0 patch if there's no database
>> yet available?
>>
>> Thanks a lot,
>>
>> Michael
>
> I've not understood well what goes wrong to you but i can assure you
> that you can do that.

Okay. And how do you do that? :)

What I did:

  • I ran "runInstaller" from the patch.
  • I accepted the default and specified an empty directory -> Error
  • As this did not work, I pointed it to the directory where I installed 10.2.0.1.0 -> Error

I uploaded a screenshot showing the error messages - maybe this makes it a bit clearer:
http://www.screenshots.cc/show.php/19072_OracleErrorMessageswhentryingtoinstallPatch.8b.png.html

Michael Received on Fri Jul 25 2008 - 06:12:22 CDT

Original text of this message